Turn To The Rat Exterminator East Peoria IL Trusts
If you have seen a rat in your house, you are probably upset and eager to get the rats out immediately. That’s understandable. Nobody wants to share their home with rats or other rodents, and if you see one, there are likely others. Rats and other rodents can harm your health and damage your house. Call the rat exterminator East Peoria IL turns to: Albert’s Termite & Pest Control
How Can I Keep Rats From Getting Into My House?
Keeping a determined rat from getting into a house or other structure isn’t easy. Did you know rats can squeeze through an opening the size of a quarter? So it’s important to do everything you can to make it more difficult for rats to get inside. Some of the methods you can do on your own to keep rats and other rodents out include:
- Seal all cracks in your home’s exterior. Keep in mind what a small opening they require and take care of even small cracks.
- Seal all doors and windows. Use tight-fitting screens and weather stripping as needed
- Inspect your house for damaged sills or siding, broken windows and foundation cracks.
- Check for gaps around pipes and stove, dryer and foundation vents.
- Install new flashing, if needed, to keep pests from climbing up your siding and getting into the attic.
What Can I Do To Make My Home Less Inviting To Rats?
It’s important to make it clear to rats that they are definitely not welcome, and we can help! Our technicians can identify potential problems during their visit. Here are some suggestions to try on your own:
- Never leave uncovered food – including pet food – out where it could attract rodents. Keep it in containers rats cannot gnaw through. Metal and glass containers are excellent choices.
- Practice good sanitation and housekeeping, particularly in the kitchen.
- Check the exterior of your home. If necessary, remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, etc. around your home that could shelter rats and other rodents.
- Because rats and other rodents can chew through plastic, consider using metal trash cans with tight-fitting metal lids.
- If you have pets, including birds, store your pet food and bird seed in tightly sealed glass or metal or other rodent-proof containers.
- If you have a compost container located on the ground, elevate it at least 1 foot .
- Do you have fruit or nut trees? Pick up any fallen fruit or nuts. If they remain on the ground, they may attract pests, including rodents.
- Check your garage for items that may attract rodents and make changes if needed. If you have items like lawn seed, tulip bulbs, bone meal or other things that might attract rodents, place them in rodent-proof containers.
- Check for potential hiding places on the exterior of your home. Trim shrubs, elevate firewood and keep bushes away from the home’s foundation.
How Do Rats Damage Homes?
Besides the ick factor, rats can damage your home. Because rodents’ teeth never stop growing, rats and other rodents are driven to gnaw constantly, and this incessant gnawing can lead to serious damage if they gnaw on wiring, drywall and other parts of your home.
Are Rats Disease Vectors?
In a word, yes. A rat’s saliva urine and droppings can spread some diseases. So can a dead rat. Some of the diseases rats may carry include hantavirus, salmonella, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, rat-bite fever – even bubonic plague. Call us so we can get rid of the rodents and restore your home to safety. We have the necessary safety equipment and know-how.
Let’s Make Your House Rodent-Free!
Rodents are prolific breeders, so don’t wait. If you don’t want rodents as roommates, give us a call. The rat exterminator East Peoria IL trusts is Albert’s Termite & Pest Control. Give us a call today at 309-839-9840.